Monday, January 14, 2013

The Perils of SADness

Like everyone else, I get the winter blues sometimes. I'm told this is called Seasonal Affective Disorder. However, I have decided that I positively do not have Seasonal Affective Disorder, for two reasons:
1. My blues are really not that serious. In fact, they're really more like aquas. As in, "I'm NOT getting out of bed. Ever. It's cold outside. What? There's sunlight today? Alright. You win. I'm coming."
2. I frequently imagine that if I DID have SAD, all my conversations about it would go something like this:
Me: I need to go to the Doctor, I have SAD.
Other person: Wait, what? You're... sad? That's a condition now?
Me: No, I mean-- well yes, I am-- but SAD means... well yeah, I guess it means I'm sad. But it just sounds stupid when you put it like that. I have a complex emotional response tied to the availability of sunlight that's affected by the length of... you know what? Yeah, I'm sad. Let's go with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment